Customs officers are quite tolerant these days, but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare. Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty.
    现在的搜查官一般都很宽容,但是在你不提供任何申报材料就通过绿色通道的情况下,他们就会阻止你。这时连最老实的人都会觉得有负罪感。
    PS:go through,通过,穿过,度过,检查(下文有)
    PS++:Green Channel,绿色通道,免检通道。

    The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings, even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase.
    但是那些满载的职业走私犯则不会有半点这种感觉,即使他们藏了500块金表在自己的手提箱里。

    When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler.
    我最近从国外回来时,有一位特别爱管闲事的年轻搜查官明确表示我是一名走私犯。

    ‘Have you anything to declare?’ he asked, looking me in the eye.
    “您有什么需要申报的吗?” 他盯着我的眼睛问道。
    PS:looking me in the eye. 上文讲到搜查官是好事者,所以用“盯”这个字更突出他的敌意。

    ‘No,’ I answered confidently.
    “没有。”我自信地答道。

    ‘Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please?’
    “你介意打开箱子吗?”

    ‘Not at all!’ I answered.
    “绝对不行!”我回答道。

    The Officer went through the case with great care. All the things I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess. I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again.
    这位搜查官很认真地检查了我的箱子,我细致整理的箱子马上就乱八七糟了。而且我敢说肯定没办法再把箱子关上了。
    PS:go through,检查!
    PS++:in a mess,乱八七糟,in a dreadful mess, 超TM乱。

    Suddenly, I saw the Officer’s face light up. He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case and he pounced on it with delight.
    突然,他在箱底找到一个小瓶子,高兴地拿了起来,并面露悦色。
    PS:one’s face light up,某人面露悦色
    PS++:pounce on sth,拿起某物

    ‘Perfume, eh?’ he asked sarcastically. ‘You should have declared that. Perfume is not exempt from import duty.’
    “香水,哼?”他讽刺地问道。“你早就应该通报的,香水要报进口税的。”
    PS: should have done,本应做,但没做。
    PS++:import duty,进口税
    PS++++:be not exempt from,不被排除在…之外,此处指“香水在进口税的征收范围内”。
    PS++++++:这里通过对比很好地解释了ex(出)和im(进)两个词根的意思。

    ‘But it is not perfume,’ I said. ‘It is hair gel.’ Then I added with a smile. ‘It’s a strange mixture I make myself.’
    “不是香水,”我答道。“是发胶。”我笑着说。“这是我自己配的奇特的混合物。”

    As I expected, he didn’t believe me.
    果然,他不信我。

    ‘Try it!’ I said encouragingly.
    “那你试下咯。”我催促说。
    PS:此处encouragingly不能做积极语境翻译为“鼓励”,应做消极语境翻译,译为“催促”。

    The Officer unscrewed the cap and put the bottle to his nostrils. He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.
    这名搜查官拧开瓶盖,把瓶子放到鼻子旁边。一股令人不悦的气味扑向他,让他确认我所言非虚。几分钟后,我终于被放行,只是箱子上多了一道宝贵的粉笔标记,匆匆离去。
    PS:be greeted by,被…问候,此处译为“气味扑向他的鼻子”。
    PS++:convinced him that I was telling the truth, 使他确信我所言非虚。这个是个常用的小句子,非常好用。